Legends Cards in Legends II (ABlade, EFist, CTrial)

Phyrexian Forum: Dominarian Chronicles - Sixth Sphere: Legends Cards in Legends II (ABlade, EFist, CTrial)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Scott_McG on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

Okay, here's the goods. I didn't format this beyond sticking the / character between each item. It should be simple enough to cut and paste and then convert the / into tabs or what have you. I apologize for not being savvier at making tables in URL.

This is sort of a draft, because I'm sure there's somethings I've forgotten. But I'm 99.99% sure that everything that is here is correct (at least, according to the longhand chart I copied it from.

Hope you enjoy, and that this sparks some fun discussions.

Raw Text "Chart" of Legends Cards in Legends 2 Trilogy:

ChapterCardCast ByNotes
AB PrologueRamses Overdark
AB PrologueNicol BolasCollecting mana for his upkeep cost
AB 1Tor WaukiTapping “archer” ability literal here; will evolve over the course of the trilogy
AB 2Boris DevilboonMentions his “little friends” (demon tokens)
AB 2Xira ArienFlavor text helped shape her vain personality in the novels
AB 2Lady OrcaOverdark
AB 3Tetsuo Umezawa
AB 3Ayesha Tanaka
AB 3Kei TakahashiTap ability helped define his character as a healer
AB 5Elder Land WurmCaleria
AB 6Tetsuo UmezawaThe effect of Tetsuo’s roster of death blows changes depending on the circumstances. This is not his tap ability per se but it represents his most powerful effort *short* of manifesting his spirit sword
AB 6-7Kei TakahashiTap to prevent damage=slight precognition to avoid threats
AB 9Author’s NoteNo card here but this reproductive cycle is actually based on a real world Earth wasp. Brrrr.
AB 10Serpent GeneratorReference only
AB 10Gosta Dirk“Cancel islandwalk” ability translated into his controlling access to Kusho via tides and storms
AB 11Ærathi BerserkerJorgan Hage is from the same tribe as the berserker pictured here
AB 11Ayesha TanakaTap ability to “break” artifacts becomes an innate magical power she has
AB 12Kasimir the Lone WolfHis loss of face in the empire led to his hermit “lone wolf” status
AB 12Boris DevilboonTap ability to create demon tokens shown; Lord Dark filters huge amounts of mana through Boris while Boris is unconscious
AB 14RagnarRegeneration ability shown
AB 14Greater Realm of PreservationLady CaleriaMentioned & foreshadowed
AB 15GRPLady CaleriaProtective barrier revealed
AB 15Lord MagnusMagnus is this forest’s avatar and is similar to (but distinct from) Titania or Multani. “Cancel forestwalk” ability becomes his ability to control access through the forest by directing the plants and animals there
AB 16Sylvan LibraryArgenti Druid AncientsForeshadowed
AB 18DarknessTetsuo UmezawaA rare defensive black spell that allows Tetsuo to make a tactical retreat
AB 18GloomRamses OverdarkDark uses blue to temporarily disrupt the barrier and then casts gloom to cripple it (the mana-intensive GRP)
AB 19-20Orca vs. TetsuoOrca is being sustained against Tetsuo’s death blow by a regeneration-style instant spell that is repeatedly being cast by Dark
AB 21Hyperion BlacksmithThe connection between this card ability and Ayesha’s hinted to me that they had similar training
AB 23Serpent GeneratorRamses OverdarkDark is pumping titanic amounts of mana into this thing
AB 23Mana DrainTetsuo UmezawaThe GRP cannot function without lots of mana; Dark exploited that with Gloom & Tetsuo does with Mana Drain
AB 24Author’s NoteTetsuo UmezawaTetsuo casts a major but nonspecific “Pay X to tap X creatures” spell in part with the mana he got from Mana Draining Caleria
AB 25Gaseous FormTetsuo UmezawaCast on himself and Ayesha to avoid a fight
AB 27DisenchantAyesha TanakaThe basic spell but still incredibly effective
EF PrologueNicol BolasCollecting mana for his upkeep cost
EF 3Gosta Dirk“Cancel islandwalk” ability translated into his controlling access to Kusho via tides and storms
EF 4Kei TakahashiHealer in action
EF 7Ayesha TanakaTap ability “breaks” the manacles
EF 9“Ramirez Pietro”Halfdane in disguise with the appropriate card stats
EF 14Author’s NoteDark’s mana map demonstrates the emperor’s upkeep
EF 15Tor WaukiTap ability evolved--now red direct damage instead of arrows
EF 16Author’s NoteNicol BolasGreater Realm of Preservation undone for good; akin to “remove all copies from the game” card effect
EF 17Shambling Strider
EF 17Burning EffigyKolo Meha
EF 17Moss Monster
EF 20Marble GolemLady Caleria
EF 21Holy DayAyesha Tanaka
EF 20Ivory Gargoyle (AL)Lady CaleriaFrom another set but pairing this regenerating white creature with the Clerics was too good to pass up
EF 22Clerics of the Holy Nimbus
EF 25Akron LegionnairesCard ability=no other creatures can fight beside him
CT 18Falling StarTetsuo UmezawaExtra large promo card sized (perhaps even bigger)
CT 20Author’s NoteTetsuo UmezawaThe Meteor Hammer spell used here is not--as it has been suggested--the Hammer of Bogardan.
CT 20Boris DevilboonBoris’s little friends have changed to reflect their master
CT 26Underworld DreamsTetsuo Umezawa
CT 28Tetsuo UmezawaTap ability destroys Nicol Bolas as it would if the two cards ever faced each other in a game

Took the liberty of making it easier (hopefully) to read. Hope that's okay.--eid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Squeeman on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

Cool. Actually, when reading I thought I noticed a bunch more. I guess that must mean I have a really over-active imagination. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Scott_McG on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

Hey, I'm living in a glass house as far as that goes, so I'll be throwing no stones.

What else did you notice, if you don't mind my asking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Squeeman on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

Not counting characters? All right. I'll have to flip through my copy of Champion's Trial to get the latest ones. The ones from the other books are just ones that I kind of remember.

Lets see. As per my pathetic geekiness:

Elder Spawn = Giant killer coral of doom from CT

Pyrotechnics = Tetsuo's fourway splitting fireball, at least against Wasitora in AB. But the Fireball spell can also be split, so this was just a guess based on the divisible damage of the card.

Gaseous Form = When Tetsuo and Ayesha were looking for the Serpent Generator in AB

The Brute (or Giant Strength) = Hage's big super-durability booster

Eternal Warrior = The spell didn't actually show, but Tetsuo mentioned Tsunami-nito, which is a reference to the card, CT

Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore = Halfdane's weird eye transformation, CT

Beasts of Bogardan = Well, not really. But Meha was a Bogardan mage. I thought this might have been the inspiration, or the OK sign for the idea.

Mountain Yeti = The chained yetis that the kentsu bring to Sekana, CT

Sylvan Library = Sylvan Library

I'm wondering if Lady Caleria's castle had a 'Moat' but thats really taking it too far.

Teleport = Overdark uses this once or twice, at least in the final battle. But that might just be coincidence. CT (is all I can remember)

Mold Demon = Another Halfdane morph, CT

The Abyss = Tor's black spell? CT

Firestorm Phoenix = I don't know what role this played in determining the Umezawa house symbol, or what it had to do with the one sent as a messenger to Overdark's keep, but it struck me as a possibility.

Tempest Efreet = The one who is not a djinn, CT

Forethought Amulet = What saves Tetsuo from his own Falling Star spell, CT

Planar Gate = The shrine? I thought it might be, since the shrine is the only place Bolas is confortably able to access Dominaria. And Planar Gate looks kinda shriney.

Those were just guesses, though. As is usually the case, I probably just thought it through too much. But those are the ones I noticed while reading the books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Evil Moderator (Eidtelnvil) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:31 am:

Not to mention the hundred of so forms Halfdane takes before he dies. I really liked that. I wonder how many familiar faces we would've seen, had Ayesha known enough about them to give us their names.

Halfdane was so cool. Imagine if there were more of them. Exactly how much of Dominaria's history has been decided by Halfdane? He could've been at Tolaria, Bryce, Efuan Pincar, Yavimaya, Kjeldor, Argive ... That's just creepy, in a good way of course. Like brains ... nevermind.

Anyway, Scott, if you saw the part in my review of CT about Bolas's planeswalking (in Ch. 3 or so), was I close? I thought I saw Phyrexia, Wildfire, Rabiah, and Segovia. Could you reveal anything else, maybe about the plane with the "snow-capped mountain"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Scott_McG on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

Thanks for the table-building, Eid. With respect to the planswalking tour Bolas takes Dark on, you’re almost entirely right: I meant for those planes to be Wildfire, Phyrexia, Segovia, and Rabiah. I must confess that I didn’t know very much about Segovia, so it definitely comes across as a generic undersea realm. I should have thrown in one of the leviathans, now that I think about it. The final plane was meant to be somewhere earth-like (but NOT earth) because I wanted to describe the Aurora Borealis, which is one of the coolest things in the world (literally).

And Squeeman, Thank You. You hit a lot of things that I forgot to include--bravo. Especially Halfdane’s quick changes at the end of CTrial. As for specifics, let me see here:

Elder Spawn = I actually had the idea for the killer coral independently. I was thrilled to see such a close match to the card, but honestly, I thought this up after watching a show about how coral feeds on The Discovery Channel (which grossed me out). It’s entirely possible I remembered the big coral card from Legends subconsciously when I thought of my coral, but I didn’t do it as a direct card reference.

Pyrotechnics-- Could be, but Fireball is more likely. I didn't have a specific basic red X damage spell in mind

Gaseous Form -- I think I cited that one

The Brute (or Giant Strength) -- It's actually more of a black spell that gives him this boost, to signal Lord Dark's influence. Didn't have a specific one in mind.

Eternal Warrior = Absolutely right; I took the name of the warrior's school from the flavor text.

Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore = Absolutely right. I enjoyed poking fun at this creature, because, honestly, what's a big eye supposed to do? The fact that it’s a 3/6 just makes it more perplexing An eye? Why an eye?

Beasts of Bogardan = Nah. I’d have loved to give Meha a pack of loyal Bogardan war hounds, but I feel they are probably native to Bogardan and can’t survive well anywhere else. They’re also tough on the local landscape, so not many places could support them.

Mountain Yeti = Absolutely right.

Sylvan Library = Yup.

I'm wondering if Lady Caleria's castle had a 'Moat' but thats really taking it too far.—No, no moat or Moat spell was intended.

Teleport = Overdark uses this once or twice, at least in the final battle. But that might just be coincidence. CT (is all I can remember)—Yup.

Mold Demon = Another Halfdane morph, CT --Yup

The Abyss = Tor's black spell? CT—I had something more like Dark Banishing in mind, but not a specific spell.

Firestorm Phoenix = It was intended to be a mana-based copy of a real phoenix, but it could have easily been a copy of the Firestorm Phoenix. Tetsuo got the phoenix symbol mostly because it’s a cool, magical bird of prey and I was giving each branch of the empire a bird totem. It seemed like a good fit for Tetsuo.

Tempest Efreet = No, I had in mind something more like a cross between a Junun Efreet and a Serendib Efreet. Not a specific card, in any case.

Forethought Amulet = Absolutely right.

Planar Gate = Not really. I don’t think planeswalkers need physical gates, but I do think he’d prefer the most familiar pathway into Dominaria. This is another reason why the shrine is important…it’s where Bolas usually manifests on Madara, and not coincidentally, it’s at the crucial nexus of his 3 preferred colors of mana.

Halfdane’s forms at the end, during his speech: That’s definitely a Keldon in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Squeeman on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

You know what? That means that Rabiah, Wildfire and Segovia- planes that have existed for nigh on ten years- have made their first appearances in Magic novels. All in the same book! It is a time of celebratory landmark milestones.

So hooray and three cheers for Scott McGough! Break out the champagne and confetti! More authors out there should be hardcore storyline gurus. Its a natural law that people like cameos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Nemesis (Nemesis) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 09:53 pm:

Yay!

Thanks for including Rabiah, Scott. Its long been my favorite plane (or planes) in the multiverse.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: